Jaw Augmentation, Jaw Implant, Mandibular Augmentation:
The attractive jawline is a Jaw augmentation, or Jaw Implant is a surgical procedure to make the mandibular structure of the face more prominent or defined. A strong natural jawline in men and women looks healthy and attractive. Now a day, the popular trend of a stronger jawline is created to a more masculine face. Conversely, a less defined jawline appears feminine and seems "weak". Sometimes, women with a weak jawline want to be balanced and more defined, but softer and more understated like Angelina Jolie, who is the most beautiful with a strong natural jawline
Material for Jaw Augmentation:
- PMMA Customized implant
A Good Candidate for Jaw Augmentation
- Men who have a narrow width to outer aspects of their jaw
- Women with a weak jawline
- Realize expectation
Preparation for jaw Augmentation
Good preparation for jaw augmentation will make a good result with less complication and recovery time. You should consult your surgeon about your achieved goal.
- Physical examination or lab tests, chest X-ray, blood test, and EKG if you are over 40 years old
- Stop smoking for at least two weeks before surgery
- Stop taking any anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin, Motrin, Ibuprofen Vitamins or herbs that interfere with blood clotting at least two weeks before surgery
- Plan for your recovery. Chewing will be difficult for up to a week after surgery. You should have some soup, liquid food, and nutrition supplement prepared.
Picture 1 Shows before and after surgery jaw augmentation
Jaw Augmentation Procedure:
- The patients need surgery by general anesthesia
- Usually, internal incisions are made directly inside the mouth on either side of the lower lip.
- This convenient access allows doctors to create a pocket that will hold the implant, which helps avoid visible scars. For an improved contour and a more defined jawline, the patient's implant is placed directly on the jawbone. And fix with the titanium screws
- Stitches by absorbable suture at the incision line.
The procedure is performed under general anesthesia for 1-2 hours.
- It is essential to take good care to prevent infection by using mouth wash often,
- Keep the face elevated as much as possible to reduce swelling,
- Gentle movement for support blood circulation,
- Wearing a compression bandage at all times for three days, and when sleeping for one month.
- Avoid aggressive activities for a month after surgery
- Liquid diet 24-48 hours after surgery, soft diet should to have after surgery a week
- Stop smoking or drinking alcohol for at least two weeks after surgery
- Keep any follow-up appointments with your surgeon to check the healing process and ask any questions that may concern you
- Stitches are taken off seven days after surgery, whereas absorbable sutures are used in the mouth
Risks and complications:
There might be a possibility of
- Pain 2-4 weeks
- Limitation of open mouth
- The numbness caused by nerve damage
- Implant shifting (where a second operation may be required)
- Gradual loss or breakdown of the bones,
- and capsular contracture.
There might be limitations in chewing and possible discomfort with smiling and talking during the first few weeks following the surgery. Patients can return to work about one week after the surgery but there may still be some swelling. You can resume exercising four weeks after surgery. and must avoid strenuous activities about 6-8 weeks. The final result will shows in 3-6 months