Forehead Augmentation Surgery
in Bangkok, Thailand
The forehead is a symbol of intelligence. Everyone wants to have a beautiful and attractive forehead that matches gender. The feminine forehead should be around six centimeters wide without lumps, curves, and smooth, whereas masculine foreheads are more extensive, higher, and backward.
Forehead augmentation or forehead implant is a surgical procedure to enhance the shape and volume of the forehead via a fat graft or implant. There is much material to perform forehead augmentation.
Figure 1: Positioning of Material for Forehead Implant
Forehead augmentation materials:
There are many materials to enhance a forehead into a feminine look. The following procedures are available:
1. Fat Injection, The surgeon harvests fat tissue from many parts of the patient's body, such as the stomach, thighs, and underarms, to extract fat cells for injection into the forehead area to achieve a rounded and full look. This procedure can perform under local anesthesia. The disadvantage of this method is that the injected fat will disintegrate within 1-2 years.
2. Bone Cement, One of the materials known as Polymethylmethacrylate or PMMA with high qualities does not irritate or cause harm to the body tissues. The surgeon prefers this material as the shape is easily adjusted. This procedure takes approximately 2-3 hours to complete.
3. e-PTFE (Gore-Tex), One of the synthetic materials in the same group as Polytetrafluoroethylene ( e-PTFE ) triggers an only minimal immune reaction from the body and can place inside the body as a vascular graft. e-PTFE is a porous material that allows our tissue to connect and grow into it after surgery, making the e-PTFE implant stable in its position. Another advantage is that e-PTFE is flexible, reliable, malleable, and easy to handle.
4. Silicone sheet, This material is not accessible because it is not flexible, and its shape is difficult to adjust. For surgeries involving bone cement (2) or e-PTFE (4), the surgeon will make an incision above the ear to ear behind the hairline and insert the material inside before closing the wound by stitching. These procedures create a sizable scar and may cause numbness lasting up to 3 to 6 months after the surgery. The duration of the operation is approximately 2 to 3 hours.
5. PMMA Customized Implant, implant. It comes from polymethyl methacrylate. The implant is designed specifically for each patient to correct the shape and size. The advanced technology offers excellent anatomical fit and contour, allowing surgeons to create exceptional cosmetic results. This procedure takes a shorter time compared to other methods. As the shape and size fit each patient, this decreases the risk of asymmetry.
A Good Candidate for Forehead Augmentation
You will be the right candidate, if
- You feel flat and narrow forehead, need to add up volume
- You are a healthy and realistic expectation
- You know the risk of the procedure that you are considering
Preparation for Forehead Augmentation
- Consult with the plastic surgeon who has highly skilled and experienced for adjusting facial structure that is high risk and complication. You will discuss your surgical goals, medical condition, and treatments
- The surgeons will evaluate your general health status from a blood test, such as CBC, electrolyte, HIV, Hep B, Hep C, Chest x-ray.
- Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs, and herbal supplements as they can increase bleeding and bruising at least two weeks
- Stop smoking at least two weeks
- Stop eating and drinking at least 6 hours before surgery.
The Procedure of Forehead Implant
- Forehead implants surgery usually performed by general anesthesia.
- The incision line is made 1-2 cm behind the hairline. Through this incision, the surgeon creates space for the forehead implant and fits it over a forehead bone.
- Forehead Implant alone typically takes 1 hour to perform. Following surgery, the incision will suture, and the forehead may cover by an elastic bandage.
- To control pain by medication or cold compression is easy.
- Strenuous activity can resume within three to four weeks after forehead augmentation
- Apply ice compresses to your forehead for 20 minutes at a time throughout the first few days after surgery to reduce swelling and discomfort.
- Keep the head elevated for a few days after surgery to reduce swelling.
- Have a selection of button-up shirts ready to wear during recovery to prevent irritating the scalp.
- Waring facial bandage at least two weeks to reduce swelling.
- Follow all post-operative instructions and attend all post-operative appointments.
Risk and Complication
When the forehead augmentation performed by a highly-skilled and experienced cosmetic surgeon, forehead augmentation is associated with very few complications. Possible risks include
- Infection from fat graft or implant or incision area
- Hematoma (internal bleeding)
- A shift in implant position (which can be fixed by screws)
- Poor scarring
- Poor healing
- Numbness within the forehead and scalp near the incision site may occur. In most cases, it will be recovered within a few weeks, though some may find it takes several months.
- Some shedding of the hair along the front of the scalp will be seen within a few weeks after surgery. Then the hair typically grows back within a few months. In the rare cases that hair does not grow back, hair grafting may perform to restore.
- Side effects from anesthesia
Recovery for Forehead Augmentation
After surgery two weeks, you can be back to work as usual. Avoid heavy exercise for at least one month. The appearance will be close to the final results within one month after surgery and considered the final result after three months when residual swelling has gone.