Facial Feminization Surgery (FFS)
in Bangkok, Thailand
Facial features of men and women are subtly different. It takes a surgeon's expertise, specialisation and artistic eye to transform a masculine face to feminine one and to make it look natural and beautiful. It is a very skilled set of procedures that we have perfected over many years.
Whereas Sexual reassignment surgery is something that matters for you and your relations, others can’t see it, FFS has an effect on every aspect of your life. You can come into the hospital without passing as female and then after surgery and after the swelling has fully resolved you suddenly find yourself passing and are free to be yourself with your visible gender matching that of your brain, as you should have been born. It is simply life changing and the most incredible thing to be instantly recognised as your true gender.
The Aim of Facial Feminization Surgery
Dr. Kamol’s principle of Facial Feminization Surgery (FFS) is based on aesthetic fundamental as follows:
- To balance the facial proportions in relation to the ratio of the upper, middle, and lower face, and divided into five parts from left to right to create an unmistakably femanine face.
- The balance of facial components is related to eyes, eyebrows, nose, cheeks, and lips to make the face clearly female in nature.
- Facial frame, including hairline, side cheeks, jaws and chin to remove male features and where needed to create femanine ones.
- The balance of facial bone and soft tissues to be more femanine.
- Facial rejuvenation.
There are Eight Distinctive Features of a Feminine Face
Every face is unique and there are many techniques and factors that the surgeons will consider to achieve the best results for each patient. The main point are as follows;
- The upper part of the face: Forehead and Eyebrows.
- The middle part of the face: Nose, Eyes and Cheekbones.
- The lower part of the face: Lips, Chin, Jaws, and Trachea.
1. Forehead Feminization
The forehead takes up most of the upper face. Although we don't consciously do it people use the forehead more than other facial parts to subconsciously gender one and other. The forehead is massively important in order to be gendered correctly. There are three main differences between male and female foreheads.
- Masculine foreheads are broader and higher than female foreheads.
- Male foreheads have a bony ridge above the eyes whereas the female forehead is more smooth.
- The male forehead is more sloped backwards whereas the female is more flat and round.
Surgical procedures will be recommended for a feminine forehead feature as follows;
- Forehead shaving & Brow Bossing Surgery. (see more)
- Forehead Augmentation. (see more)
- Forehead reduction, scalp advancement, hairline lowering. (see more)
- Hair transplant to create a feminine hairline. (see more)
Kamol hospital surgeon teams offer three techniques for forehead contouring, as follows;
1. Forehead bone shaving (see more)
2. Forehead bone shaving with augmentation (see more)
3. Anterior walls of frontal sinus osteotomy and set back (see more)
Picture 1 Shows the procedures of feminine forehead contouring.
We also offer four materials for forehead augmentation, as follows;
- ePTFE sheets
- Fat transfer
- Silicone implants
- Customized material PMMA
2. Eyebrow Feminization
There are two significant differences between male and female eyebrows:.
- Male eyebrows are thicker and straighter whereas female eyebrows are thinner and often arched.
- Male eyebrows are lower and closer to the orbital eye rim whilst female eyebrows are higher.
The surgical procedures recommended for more feminine eyebrows are: a Brow lift, Eyebrow lift or a Forehead lift. (see more)
3. Nose Feminization
The nose can be a very obvious gender marker and as it takes centre stage in the middle of our faces is one of the most important things to correct to a gender confirming shape and size. Significant differences between male and female's noses are:
- The male nose is broader and more extended whereas the female nose is narrower and shorter.
- Male noses have arched or straight nose bridges whereas female noses are more curved.
Kamol Hospital offers the following surgical procedures for feminine rhinoplasty:
1.) Reduction Rhinoplasty: The procedure is usually recommended for Caucasian patients to reduce hump, side bones, nasal tip, and the alarplasty. (see more)
2.) Augmentation Rhinoplasty: The procedure, involved nasal ridge and tip augmentation, is usually recommended for Asians. The materials for a nasal augmentation include silicone implant, ePTFE, ear cartilage, and rib cartilage. (see more)
3.) Combined technique of Rhinoplasty: Non-Caucasian patients might need nasal ridge reduction and nasal tip augmentation to achieve more desirable results. (see more)
4. Cheekbones Feminization
5. Eyes Feminization
While the eyes are known as “window to the soul”, they can also help people determine the gender of a person. Male eyes are deeper set and narrower while female eyes are wider.
- Male eyes look more deep set than female eyes.
- Male eyes look more closed or narrow while female eyes look bigger and brighter.
Kamol Cosmetic Hospital offers a surgical procedure for eye feminization as follows:
Cat eye (almond eye) surgery
The cat eye operation widens the eyes by opening up the eyelids and lifting their outer edge upward. The eyebrows may also be raised to create more distance between the eyes and the eyebrows.
The cat eye operation is performed under local anesthesia and takes about 2-3 hours. The levator palpebral muscle will be shortened, the outer canthus will be moved upward, and excess eyelid skin will be removed. The stitches will be removed five days after surgery. The patients can open their eyes normally after surgery and can perform light activity within a week after surgery. (see more)
6. Lips Feminization
Kamol Cosmetic Hospital offers three surgical operations for feminisation of the lips:
7. Adam’s Apple reduction (Tracheal shaving)
The Adam’s apple is a uniquely male feature and a clear marker people use to gender one another. To achieve a totally feminine appearance, an Adam’s apple needs to be removed.
Kamol Cosmetic Hospital offer two techniques for Adam’s apple shaving:
8. Chin and Jaw Feminization
- Male chin has wide and more protruding chins, while female chin have gently pointed and curved chin with less protruding features
- Male jaws have wide and large jaws with more prominent muscles and saliva glands, while female jaws have narrow jaws with invisible saliva gland.
Kamol Cosmetic Hospital offers various options for chin and jaw feminization.
The duration of the surgery depends entirely on the procedures being done. The average time for FFS Facial feminization surgery is 4.5 hours. Following surgery you will spend a few hours in the recovery room as is normal practice following any general anaesthetic. Then you will be taken back to your private room where you will slowly wake up. Pain is generally well tolerated and you will have strong painkillers in the initial days to ensure you are as comfortable as possible. You will also have an alarm button attached to your bed where you can call the nurses if you are in pain between standard doses.
Preparation for Facial Feminization Surgery (FFS)
Consultation with the plastic surgeon to discuss your surgical goals, medical conditions, and treatments.
Physical examination, blood test, chest X-ray, electrolytes, HIV test.
Stop smoking and drinking alcohol for at least one week before surgery.
Stop medicines, vitamin, or herbs that interfere with blood clotting, such as aspirin
Duration of Recovery
FFS is one of the most rewarding sets of procedures because it tends to have such a positive and profound effect on patients lives. The recovery process is very much dependent on what surgeries are done. During your consultation the doctor will discuss with you what surgeries he recommends and the recovery time they entail. In most FFS cases you will need around 3 weeks off work. As with most surgery you will look “normal” as though you haven't had surgery very quickly but results continue to get better and better over a number of months with the results continuing to constantly improve.
Postoperative care varies for each procedure but the basics are as follows:
- Eat a liquid / soft diet whilst mouth stitches are new.
- Always keep the mouth clean with mouthwash.
- Avoid aggressive activities for a month after surgery.
- Avoid smoking.
- Don’t over exercise for one month.
- Take painkillers to reduce pain.
- Patients can resume normal activities two weeks after surgery. Wounds should be completely healed within 4-8 weeks.
- Keep any follow-up appointments with your surgeon to check the healing process and ask any questions that you may have.
Risks and Complications are extremely rare but may include:
- Nerve damage
- Implant failure
- Pain after surgery
- Poor healing
Female Feminisation Surgery Results
The results from Facial Feminisation Surgery (FFS) are quite literally life changing. Not only being gendered correctly but being a beautiful attractive woman gives you a quality of life you might not have even imagined possible. Not only will you be gendered correctly on sight by people but through surgery you can be as beautiful and attractive on the outside as you are on the inside. Becoming a beautiful woman is just the most amazing thing to witness patients achieve and it gives us so much pride to change peoples lives in this way. Having done tens of thousands of FFS procedures we have unparalleled success and are regarded as the best in the field. As we are based in Thailand we are significantly cheaper than other FFS centres and yet our results are among the best anywhere. FFS results can start to be seen after just a few weeks but change quite considerably over the first year as tissues and swelling settles.
Why Thailand is a plastic surgery destination?
Thailand is a top destination for plastic and cosmetic surgery, as it is the high quality and specialist skills of the surgeons, they provide the first class hospital treatments and the affordable cost all add up to a satisfying all-around package. There is also the added temptation to recover post-procedure in luxury hotels or recovery service apartments
Why Kamol Cosmetic Hospital, Thailand, is a global GENDER CONFIRMATION SURGERY destination?
Kamol Cosmetic Hospital, one of the world’s best destinations for gender confirmation surgery.
Kamol Cosmetic Hospital is where dreams become reality. Accredited by the Joint Commission International (JCI), the gold standard in global healthcare, our surgeons have been recognized as the most skilled and experienced in the industry since our opening in 2012.
We aim to make your difficult transformation process as comfortable as possible.