Facial Feminization Surgery (FFS)
in Bangkok, Thailand
Facial Feminization Surgery (FFS) or Feminine Facial Surgery is performed as either a single or multiple of cosmetic procedures to change masculine facial features into a more feminine appearance as part of gender confirmation surgery. Once you decided to live as a woman, having a fully feminine appearance and facial feature is crucial for the transition. Facial features of men and women are subtly different, but nevertheless the difference is significant enough to consider having a surgery. It takes a surgeon’s expertise, specialization and artistic eye to transform a masculine face to a more feminine one.
The aim of Facial Feminization Surgery
Dr. Kamol’s principle of feminine facial transformation surgery is based on aesthetic fundamental as follows
1. The balance of facial proportions is related to the ratio of upper, middle and lower face
2. The balance of facial components is related to eyes, eyebrows, nose, cheeks and lips
3. Facial frame, including hairline, side cheeks, jaws and chin, looks more feminine
4. The balance of facial bone and soft tissues will be considered.
5. Facial rejuvenation
8 distinctive features of a feminine face
Every face is a unique, but all female shares certain features that contribute to their feminine look. There are many techniques and factors that the surgeons will consider in the surgery to achieve the best result for each patient. However, here are eight areas that can effectively transform a masculine face to a more feminine one.
- The upper part, the main point is forehead
- The middle part, we concern nose, eyes, cheekbones (Zygoma)
- The lower part, we consider lips, Chin, Jaws, Adam’s apple
Picture 1. Shows Upper face
1. Forehead feminization
Forehead is the major area takes up most of the upper face. There are three main differences between male and female forehead.
- Male forehead features are wider and higher than female foreheads
- Male has a bony ridge across the forehead above the eyes, female has more smooth forehead
- Male forehead is more slope backward, whereas female is more vertical and round.
Despite the differences in the appearance between men’s and women’s foreheads, it is possible to change men’s forehead features to create a more feminine look by forehead contouring or forehead augmentation surgery. Typically, women have curved, rounded and well-contoured foreheads, arching brows with little or no brow bones protruding. By comparison, men’s foreheads are generally wider and higher with a receding hairline. In addition, men often have raised thicker brow bones located lower on the foreheads. For your consideration, our highly skilled and specialized surgeons offer the following procedures:
Surgical procedures will be recommended for a feminine forehead feature.
- Forehead shaving, Brow Bossing Surgery. (see more)
- Forehead Augmentation. (see more)
- Forehead reduction, scalp advancement, hairline lowering. (see more)
- Hair transplant with feminine hairline design. (see more)
Kamol hospital surgeon teams offer 3 techniques for forehead contouring, as follows;
1. Forehead bone shaving
2. Forehead bone shaving with augmentation
3. Anterior walls of forntal sinus osteotomy and set back
Picture 2. Shows Techniques of Forehead Contouring
We also offer 4 materials for forehead augmentation, as follows;
2. Eyebrows feminization
There are two major differences between male and female eyebrows.
- Male eyebrows are thicker and a straighter whereas female eyebrows are thinner and often arched
- Male eyebrows are located lower and closer to the orbital eye rim, while female eyebrows are higher
Surgical procedures recommended for feminine eyebrows
- Brow Lift, Eyebrows lift, Forehead lift. (see more)
3. Nose Feminization
- Male nose is wider and longer whereas female nose is narrower and shorter.
- Male has arched or straight nose bridges whereas female nose is more curved
Kamol Hospital offers three surgical procedures for feminine rhinoplasty as follow.
1.) Reduction Rhinoplasty
The procedure is usually recommended for Caucasian patients to reduce hump, side bones, nasal tip, and the alarplasty. (see more)
2.) Augmentation Rhinoplasty
The procedure, involved nasal ridge and tip augmentation, is usually recommended for Asians. The materials for a nasal augmentation include silicone implant, ePTFE, ear cartilage, and rib cartilage. (see more)
3.) Combined technique of rhinoplasty
Non-Caucasian patients might need nasal ridge reduction and nasal tip augmentation to achieve more desirable results.
4. Cheekbones feminization
Kamol hospital offers three surgical procedures for cheekbones feminization
5. Eyes feminization
While the eyes are known as “window to the soul”, they can also determine the masculine or famine look for the person. Male eyes are deeper set and narrower while the female eyes are wider.
- Male eyes look more deep set than female
- Male eye look more closed or narrow while female look bigger and brighter.
Kamol hospital offers a surgical procedure for eyes feminization,
Cat eye (almond eye) surgery
The cat eye operation widens the eyes by opening up the eyelids and lift their outer edge upward. The eyebrows may also be raised to create more distance between the eyes and the eyebrows.
The cat eye operation is performed under local anesthesia and takes about 2-3 hours. Levator palpebral muscle will be shorten, the outer canthus will be moved upward, and excess eyelid skin will be removed. The stitches will be removed after five days. The patients can open their eyes normally after surgery with light activity within a week after surgery.
6. Lips feminization
Kamol Cosmetic Hospital offers three surgical operations for feminine lips
1.) Feminine Lip Lift
2.) Lip enhancement
3.) Lip reduction and contouring
7. Adam’s Apple reduction (Tracheal shaving)
Adam’s apple is a uniquely male feature. To achieve a totally feminine appearance, an Adam’s apple needs to be removed.
Kamol hospital offer two techniques for Adam’s apple shaving
1.) Supra thyroid incision technique
2.) Intra Oral incision (Scar less technique)
8. Chin and jaws feminization
- Male chin has wide and more protruding chins, while female chin have gently pointed and curved chin with less protruding features
- Male jaws have wide and large jaws with more prominent muscles and saliva glands, while female jaws have narrow jaws with invisible saliva gland.
Chin and Jaw Feminization
Chin and jaw feminization includes chin and jaw reduction, contouring and augmentation.
Kamol Cosmetic Hospital offers seven options for chin and jaw feminization.
Risks and Complication
- Nerve Injury
- Pain after surgery
- Loss some bone
How to prepare for Feminine Facial Surgery (FFS)
Meet the professional surgeon to discuss and choose the best options
Refrain from smoking and consumption of alcohol at least two weeks before surgery
Avoid certain medicine the causes bleeding such as aspirin and anti-coagulant.
Postoperative care varies for each procedure, but the basics are as follow.
- Eating liquid or soft food
- Always keep the mouth clean with mouth wash.
- Avoid smoking
- Don’t over exercise within one month.
- Take a painkiller to reduce pain
- Patients can resume normal activities two weeks after surgery. Wounds should be completely health within 4-8 weeks.
Facial feminization Surgery (FFS) is an important part of gender confirmation surgery that improves the quality of life of male to female transgenders.