Forehead Augmentation Surgery
Typically women have curved, rounded and well-contoured foreheads, arching brows with little or no brow bones protruding. By comparison, men's foreheads are generally broader and higher with a receding hairline. Men often have raised thicker brow bones located lower on the foreheads. People use the forehead more than you’d ever think to subconsciously gender one and other. It is one of the fundamental gender markers we use.
Forehead augmentation or forehead implant is a surgical procedure to enhance the shape and volume of the forehead via a fat graft or implant. There are numerous materials available to use for forehead augmentation.
Figure 1: Positioning of Material for Forehead Implant
Forehead augmentation materials:
There are many materials to enhance a forehead into a feminine look. The following procedures are available:
1. Fat Injection: The surgeon harvests fat tissue from various parts of the body such as the stomach, thighs, and underarms. This fat is then injected into the forehead area to achieve the required look. This procedure can be performed under local anesthesia. The disadvantage of this method is that the injected fat will very likely be reabsorbed within 1-2 years.
2. Bone Cement: Materials such as Polymethylmethacrylate or PMMA do not irritate or cause harm to the body. This is the preferred material for this surgery as it's stable, lasts forever and is easily shaped. This procedure takes approximately 2-3 hours.
3. e-PTFE (Gore-Tex): This synthetic material triggers an only minimal immune reaction from the body and can be placed inside the body as a vascular graft. e-PTFE is a porous material that allows our tissue to connect and grow into it after surgery, making the e-PTFE implant stable in its position. Other advantages are that e-PTFE is flexible, reliable, malleable, and easy to handle.
4. Silicone sheet: This material is not accessible because it is not flexible, and its shape is difficult to adjust. For surgeries involving bone cement (2) or e-PTFE (4), the surgeon will make an incision above the ear to ear behind the hairline and insert the material inside before closing the wound by stitching. These procedures create a sizable scar and may cause numbness lasting up to 3 to 6 months after the surgery. The duration of the operation is approximately 2 to 3 hours.
5. PMMA Customized Implant: Made from polymethyl methacrylate. The implant is designed specifically for each patient to correct the shape and size. This advanced technology offers excellent anatomical fit and contour, allowing surgeons to create exceptional cosmetic results. This procedure takes a shorter time compared to other methods. As the shape and size is uniquely designed for each patient, the risk of asymmetry is decreased significantly.
A Good Candidate for Forehead Augmentation
- You have a narrow forehead.
- You are healthy and have realistic expectations.
- You know the risks of the procedures that you are considering.
Preparation for Forehead Augmentation
- Consult with the highly skilled and experienced plastic surgeon about the surgical goals, any existing medical conditions, risks, potential complications and treatments.
- The surgeons will evaluate your general health status from a blood test, such as CBC, electrolyte, HIV, Hep B, Hep C, Chest x-ray.
- Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements as they can increase bleeding and bruising at least two weeks.
- Stop smoking for at least two weeks.
- Stop eating and drinking at least 6 hours before surgery.
Forehead Implant Procedure
- Forehead implants surgery is usually performed by general anesthesia.
- The incision line is made 1-2 cm behind the hairline. Through this incision, the surgeon creates space for the forehead implant and fits it over the forehead bone.
- A forehead Implant typically takes 1 hour to perform. Following surgery the incision will be sutured, and the forehead will be covered by a compression bandage.
- Avoid strenuous activity for three to four weeks.
- Apply ice compresses to your forehead for 20 minutes at a time throughout the first few days of recovery to reduce swelling and discomfort.
- Keep the head elevated for 1-2 weeks after surgery to reduce post-op swelling.
- Have a selection of button-up shirts ready to wear during recovery to prevent irritating the scalp.
- We will provide you with a compression garment which you should wear as much as possible for at least two weeks in order to reduce swelling.
Risk and Complication:
When the forehead augmentation performed by a highly-skilled and experienced cosmetic surgeon, forehead augmentation is associated with very few complications however possible risks include:
- Infection from fat graft or implant or incision area.
- Hematoma (internal bleeding)
- A shift in implant position (which can be fixed by screws)
- Poor scarring.
- Poor healing.
- Numbness within the forehead and scalp near the incision site. In most cases, it will recover within a few weeks.
- Side effects from anesthesia
Recovery for Forehead Augmentation
You can return to work within 2 weeks. Avoid heavy exercise for at least one month. The appearance will be close to the final result within one month after surgery and the final result will be seen around three months after surgery when residual swelling has gone.
Getting to Know for Forehead Augmentation
A rounded forehead, also known as a circular hairline, is a facial feature...
It is a cosmetic procedure that involves the use of implants to enhance the appearance...
Before & After Forehead Augmentation
Reviews for Forehead Augmentation
Video: Forehead Augmentation
What are the benefits of having a Forehead Implant procedure at Kamol Hospital?
‘Kamol Hospital, located in Bangkok, Thailand, is a leading medical facility that offers forehead implant surgery to patients from around the world.’
The benefits of having a forehead implant procedure at Kamol Hospital.
- One of the main benefits of having a forehead implant procedure at Kamol Hospital is the surgeons at Kamol Hospital have extensive experience performing forehead implant surgery, which means that they are able to achieve natural-looking results that are tailored to the individual needs and goals of each patient.
- Another benefit of having a forehead implant procedure at Kamol Hospital is the safety and quality of the procedure. Kamol Hospital is an internationally accredited medical facility that adheres to the highest standards of patient safety and care.
- The hospital is equipped with the latest medical technology and staffed by highly trained medical professionals who are dedicated to providing the best possible care to their patients.
- In addition, Kamol Hospital follows strict protocols to ensure the safety of patients during and after the procedure, and provides comprehensive post-operative care to ensure that patients recover quickly and comfortably.
The recovery process after a forehead implant procedure at Kamol Hospital is generally quite smooth and manageable. Patients typically experience some mild swelling and bruising in the area around the incision, but these symptoms can be managed with over-the-counter pain medication and will typically resolve within a few days. Patients are usually able to return to work and other normal activities within a week of the procedure, although they should avoid strenuous exercise and heavy lifting for at least a few weeks to allow the implant to fully settle in.
‘The results of a forehead implant procedure at Kamol Hospital are often dramatic and long-lasting. Patients can expect to see an immediate improvement in the shape and contours of the forehead and brow area, which will help to create a more youthful, expressive appearance.’
In conclusion, Kamol Hospital is a leading medical facility that offers forehead implant surgery to patients from around the world. The benefits of having a forehead implant procedure at Kamol Hospital include the expertise and experience of the surgeons, the safety and quality of the procedure, the manageable recovery process, the dramatic and long-lasting results, and the financing options available to patients.
If you are considering a forehead implant procedure, Kamol Hospital is an excellent choice.