Jaw Reduction Surgery / Jaw Shaving
in Bangkok, Thailand
The jaws are an essential part of a lower face, make you are attractive and charming. If your jaw is squared shape and wide, you may consider jaw reduction surgery, which is a surgical procedure to reshape jaw into a slimmer and more feminine appearance. Jaw reduction is the art of facial design. The surgeon has to concern the part of jaws, chin, and mandibles, need to create together. The jaws are an essential part contributing to a V-line face: it should not be too slim or too broad, and only a small curve needs for balance and harmony in an attractive look.
How to choose the surgeon for jaw reduction?
1. Must be a specialist in facial surgery, have a certificate Board Certified, including Plastic Surgeon or Maxillofacial Surgeon or Maxillofacial Surgeon
2. Check the experience and expertise clearly. Because facial bone surgery is very complicated, Beware Jawbone fractures, nerve tear, and function. The surgeon should control the risk and complication well.
3. Have skills and expertise in Jaw surgery and aesthetic facial design as a professional.
Preparing for Surgery
- Consult with the surgeon to achieve the goal, and get to know risk and complication.
- Physical examination or lab tests, chest X-ray, blood test, and EKG if you are over 40 years old
- Stop smoking for at least two weeks before surgery
- Stop taking any anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin, Motrin, Ibuprofen Vitamins or herbs that interfere with blood clotting at least two weeks before surgery
- Plan for your recovery. Chewing will be difficult for up to a week after surgery. You should have some soup, liquid food, and nutrition supplement prepared.
Kamol Cosmetic Hospital offers seven techniques for jaw reduction
Everyone has a unique facial bone structure, Adjusting of the lower facial part includes jaw, chin, and lower mandible. The procedure for this part need to create and adjust a proportion of jaw, chin, and lower mandible to be symmetry, harmony, and an excellent facial appearance. Kamol Cosmetic Hospital offers seven techniques are as follows:
- Jaw reduction type 1: This procedure removes the angled jaw only. Suitable for people with large angle jaw. The size and shape of the lower mandible and chin
Picture1. Shows Jaws reduction type 1: the shaft and prominent of the angle of the jaw.
- Jaw reduction type 2: This procedure removes the prominent posterior haft and angle of the mandible. This technique is available for someone who has a long angle.
Picture 2 Shows jaws reduction type 2: for the permanent of posterior half and angle of the mandible.
- Jaw reduction type 3: This procedure is to remove the prominent anterior to the posterior of the mandible. This technique is available for someone who has a square face, broad chin, and jaws.
Picture 3 Shows jaws reduction types 3: for the prominent anterior to posterior of the mandible.
- Jaw reduction type 4: This procedure removes the angle of the chin, and this technique is available for someone who has a square chin.
Picture 4 Shows jaws reduction types 4: for the square shape of the chin.
- Jaw reduction type 5: this procedure removes the long side chin. The technique is available for the square and broad chin.
Picture 5 Shows jaw reduction type 5: long side chin reduction.
- Jaw reduction type 6: This procedure removes side chin and vertical. This technique is available for someone who has a broad and long chin.
Picture 6 Shows Jaw reduction type 6: side chin and vertical reduction.
- Jaw reduction type 7: this procedure removes from the end of the posterior mandible one side to the end of the other, pass through the chin, like the long horseshoe. This technique is available for the broad, long chin and prominent of the mandible angle.
Picture 7 Shows jaw reduction type 7: Long horseshoe reduction.
A Good Candidate for Jaws reduction
You may be the right candidate if you:
- Want to improve the lower facial part, jaws chin, and lower mandible is unsatisfactory proportion.
- Large, intensive-looking jaw
- Wide jaw and round face
- Long lower jaw
- Lower flat jaws
- Facial growth is complete
- Physically healthy
- Realistic expectation
- Don't smoke
- Able to sign consent form without dictation
- Know the risk and complication of rhinoplasty well
Preparing for Jaw reduction
- You need to have consulted with your surgeon about whether the lower facial part includes jaws, chin, and lower mandible is appropriate for you and what it can achieve.
- Physical examination, blood test, chest X-ray, electrolytes, HIV
- CT scan will be required.
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol for at least one week.
- Stop some medicines, vitamin, or herbs that interfere with blood clotting, such as aspirin.
The procedure of Jaw reduction
The operation takes 1-2 hours, depending on the thickness of the jawbone. The steps of jaw reduction are as follows;
- The procedure is performed under general anesthesia
- The incision is intraoral to hide the scar
- Removal of excess bone/muscle/fat
A micro-saw use to cut the marked areas of prominent bone and reshape. The saw is curved to achieve a well-rounded contour. In some cases, a cortical fracture may happen between remove the outer layer of the jawbone.In other cases, the masseter muscle will delete. Some subcutaneous fat may also remove to slim down the jawline further.
- Shaving to reduce sharp bone and increase smoothness
- Incisions are close with absorbable suture.
It is essential to take good care, to prevent infection by often using mouth wash,
keep the face elevated as much as possible to reduce swelling,
gentle movement for support blood circulation,
wearing a compression bandage at all times for three days,
and when sleeping for one month.
- Avoid aggressive activities for a month after surgery
- Stop smoking or drinking alcohol for at least two weeks after surgery
- Keep any follow-up appointments with your surgeon to check the healing process and ask any questions that may concern you
- Stitches are taken off seven days after surgery, whereas absorbable sutures used in the mouth
You can return to work 7-10 days after surgery, but there may still be some swelling. You can resume exercising four weeks after surgery.
Risks and Complications
Jawbone reduction, like other facial reduction procedures, does involve common threats such as infection, bleeding, blood clot, bruising, swelling, injury to the surrounding tissue and nerves, or blood vessels and allergic reactions to anesthesia. Risks that are unique to this procedure include:
- Decreased skin sensation over the surgical area
- Asymmetry cheekbones
- Tightness when opening the mouth
- Zygomatic arch fracture
- Unstable zygomatic bone
- Zygomatic bone and arch malposition after surgery
- Revision surgery may be required
Jaw Reduction Surgery Results
The results of the jaw reduction procedure are permanent. Swelling after surgery is common. It will take several days before you are able to remove the compression bandage and enjoy the results. When the swelling has gone, the new contours of your jawline will be apparent.