Facelift Surgery (Rhytidectomy)
in Bangkok, Thailand
Facelift surgery (Rhytidectomy) is a cosmetic surgery procedure to create a younger facial appearance. This procedure can reduce sagging or folding of skin on the cheeks and jawline, and any changes that resulted from aging.
Some cases may require face eye and neck together to create the overall facial appearance. It is common to combine face and neck procedure to achieve the goal, such as deep muscle tightening, fat transfer, facial bone augmentation, and facial bone contouring to achieve the desired youthful look.
Kamol Cosmetic Hospital Bangkok offers Facelift and associated procedures. Someone may require one or more procedures, as follows:
- Mini-facelift / Mid facelift Skin
- Full Facelift with SMAS
- Mid Facelift by synthetic absorbable materials
- Neck lift and Neck tuck
- Forehead lift / Browlift
- Restoration of facial fat with fat transfer
A Good Candidate for Facelift
- Aging face
- Healthy for under sedation or general anesthesia
- Positive outlook and realistic expectations
Preparation for a Facelift
After consultations with the surgeons and agreeing to proceed with the surgery, the preparation of facelift will be as the following steps;
- Stop smoking for at least two weeks before surgery
- Stop Aspirin or any medications that interfere with coagulation
- Physical examination and medical history. The surgeons will require the patient's medical records. Most patients aged 40 and above need to consult with medical doctors and cardiologists regarding any possibility of heart complications, as this will be necessary when administering anesthesia
- Facial examination and facial profile analysis
- Before the procedure, hair wash with germicidal soap
- Confirmation of expectations, as the patient should ask any questions they still have regarding the outcome of a facelift, such as an effect on fine wrinkles or symmetry of the face
Procedure for Facelift
This procedure requires general anesthesia, though sometimes local anesthesia and sedation would suffice. A facelift procedure takes approximately 2-4 hours. As the face, eyes, and neck work together to create an overall facial appearance, it is usually to combine face and neck procedures to achieve the goals of each person.
At Kamol Cosmetic Hospital, we offer six facelift and associated procedures for those who seek to restore youthfulness to their appearance.
1. Mini- facelift / Mid facelift
This procedure involves two incisions; the first one is a simple skin incision at the temporal hairline, down to the front of the ears, and ends at the earlobe. It is a standard facelift procedure that is still in use today. This operation tightens excess skin and relies entirely on skin tension to shift the underlying facial soft tissue. The second incision is near the lower eyelash. This area for lifting and tightening of cheek muscle, the excess skin will reduce to balance. This procedure is suitable for patients who have excess skin and minimal ptosis of deep soft skin.
This procedure takes around 2 hours under sedation or general anesthesia.
Picture1. Shows Mini-facelift / Mid facelift
2. Full Facelift with SMAS
Our plastic surgeons perform the subcutaneous Facelift with separate SMAS Flap and SMAS-ectomy. The incision starts from the temporal hairline, down to the front of the ears, and ends behind the ears. Then the SMAS will be pulled upward and backward as tightly as possible. Underlying muscle might tighten, subcutaneous soft tissue and skin will move following the SMAS flap, and then resected to remove the excess skin. This facelift surgery is a more effective technique, and the results are longer lasting.
This procedure is suitable for the patients who have a lot of excesses and sagging skin, facial muscle ptosis, to remove and restore a smoother, firmer and more youthful appearance to their face
This procedure takes around 3-4 hours under sedation or general anesthesia.
Picture 2.Shows facelift by "Deep tissue technique with SMASectomy."
3. Facelift with synthetic absorbable materials
We provide a facelift by deep muscle suspension with synthetic absorbable ribbon (Endotine®). The incision locates in front of the ear up to the temporal area. Endotine® will be absorbable within six months. This procedure can enhance cheek volume and projection for a natural, rejuvenated look. The patient may feel some discomfort a few months after surgery.
This procedure is suitable for the patients who have midface (inner face) ptosis or need to get more cheek volume and minimal ptosis of deep soft skin.
This procedure takes around 2 hours under sedation or general anesthesia.
Picture 3. Facelift by deep muscle suspension with synthetic absorbable materials (Endotine)
4. Neck Lift / Neck Tuck
This procedure helps someone who has a thick, wrinkled, or sagging neck. The surgeons will perform one or both methods together. Neck tuck is a procedure that the surgeon makes a small incision under the chin-neck line, carefully lift and tighten loose neck muscles (Platysmaplasty). An incision of a neck lift is behind each ear, may also make a longer incision to stretch the neck muscle by SMAS. And underlying tissues and remove excess, sagging skin to restore a smoother, firmer, and more youthful appearance to the neck. This procedure usually performed with a full facelift.
This procedure takes around 2-4 hours under sedation or general anesthesia.
Picture 4. Shows neck lift and neck tuck procedures
5. Forehead lift/ Browlift
A brow lift is the repositioning of an eyebrow to achieve a more youthful appearance. The incision scar is behind the hairline by 1-2 cm. There are three types of brow lift as follows:
- An endoscopic brow lift, which results in a minimal scar
- A temporal or limited brow lift, where incisions are at the temporal area both right and left
- The classic brow lift, where a long incision is made horizontal behind the hairline. (See More)
6. Facial restoration with fat transfer.
Fat transfer as a micrograft or nano-graft is performed to support particular areas that need contouring and fulfilling. This procedure is suitable for patients who have a slimmer face and loose fat, and have undergone a facelift surgery with unsatisfactory results due to the lack of volume. Some patients may need more procedures to achieve a desired youthful look. Experienced surgeons can recommend best options, though the final decision remains at the patient's
This procedure takes around 1-2 hours under sedation or general anesthesia.
Picture 5 shows the areas of facial fat transfer
Postoperative Care for Facelift
- Keep the face elevated as much as possible to reduce swelling
- Gentle movement to support blood circulation
- Wear a compression bandage at all times for the first three days, and then at home while sleeping for one month
- Avoid aggressive or strenuous activities for one month after surgery
- Stop smoking or drinking alcohol for at least two weeks after surgery
- Sutures are removed around 5-10 days after surgery
- Keep any follow-up appointments with your surgeon to check healing process and ask any questions that may concern you
- Follow all postoperative instructions and attend all postoperative appointments
Risks and Complications of Facelift
Facelift complications will be managed with the right care, medication or surgical correction. The risks include:
- Postoperative hematoma under the skin
- Scarring. Incision scar from a facelift are permanent, but typically will be hidden under the hair. It is rare for the incision to become red, raised scar. Injection of steroids or other treatments will use to improve the appearance.
- Nerve injury and sensory nerve damage, although the effects are self-limiting and usually recover within 6-12 months.
- Skin loss, though very rare, could still happen. Facelift surgery may interrupt the blood supply, possibly resulting in partial skin necrosis and delayed healing.
- The other risks and complications are similar to those of other major surgeries, including side effects from anesthesia. Lifestyle and preexisting medical conditions may increase risks.
Recover for facelift Surgery
- After surgery for a few days, Bruising, swelling, hypersensitivity, and numbness will make you feel uncomfortable.
- The face and neck will start to improve after a few weeks, and then begin a gentle massage to stimulate the nerve and lymphatic drainage to reduce swelling and recovery period.
- You can return to work 14 days after surgery, but there may still be some swelling.
- You start exercise four weeks after surgery.
- The final result takes 6 – 12 months.