Abdominoplasty / Tummy Tuck
in Bangkok, Thailand
What is Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck)?
Abdominoplasty, or tummy tuck, is a procedure that flattens the abdomen by removing extra fat and skin and tightening muscles in your abdominal wall. The procedure benefit those after childbirth, especially women after numerous pregnancies, and help them get desirable body figure. With incision along bikini line, the surgery is performed under general anesthesia and it takes around 3-4 hours. After the surgery, the patient needs to be admitted three nights to the hospital. The surgery usually leaves a scar along the pubic hair line, possibly from left to right side of the hips, depending on the fat and excess skin.
There are two types of Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck)
1. Abdominoplasty with umbilical transposition and repairing the sagging
This procedure is suitable for those who has a lot of excess fat and skin and stretch marks from childbirth. This procedure must be performed under general anesthesia
Picture 1. Surgical Procedures of Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) with umbilical transposition and repairing the sagging abdominal muscles
1. The surgeon will examine the sagging of the muscles for surgical planning, as show in figure 1.
2. The surgeon marks the incision on the bikini line then opens the wound through the layer of the skin to the muscle, as shown in figure 2.
3. Fibrosis between the layer of the skin and the muscle are released from the pubic to the sub-mammary area. Then surgeon will then see the sagging muscles clearly.
4. The surgeon then repairs the sagging abdominal muscles from sub-mammary to the pubic tightening the abdominal muscles, as shown in figure 4.
5. The layer of the skin and fat is pulled down, with the excess, from the former umbilical to the pubic removed. The surgeon then sutures the fat layer with the dissolvable stitches, creates and retouches the new umbilical carefully to prevent the scar, as shown in figure 5.
6. The surgeon cuts and sutures the excess skin on the pubic area.
2. Mini Abdominal Lipectomy
This procedure is suitable for those with moderate excess fat but with stretch marks. This procedure aims to correct the stretch marks and can be performed under local anesthesia. The patient can retire to their accommodation right after the surgery.
1. The surgeon will check the sagging of the muscles for surgical planning, as shown in figure 1.
2. The surgeon opens the wound on the pubic, releases the fibrosis between the layer of the skin and the muscle from the pubic to the below umbilical area.
3. The layer of the skin and fat is then pulled down. The surgeon then cuts and sutures the excess
skin on the pubic area.
Preparing for Abdominal Lipectomy
1. Get a lab test or a medical evaluation
2. Take certain medications or adjust your current medication
3. Refrain from smoking
4. Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements as they can increase bleeding
1. During the first 2-3 days after the surgery, the patient must start wearing the full-length compression garment every day to tighten the muscle and reduce the swelling. After one month, the patient can continue to wear it at night to support the muscle.
2. The stitches will be removed six days after the surgery.
3. The patient can start exercise about two months after the surgery.
4. The swelling will reduce and the wound will be healed three to four months after the surgery.
Forewarning for post-operative care
1. Refrain from showering until two to three days after the surgery. Dress the wound according to the doctor’s recommendation.
2. Wear the compression garment all the time during the first month. After one month, the patient should continue wearing to support the muscle and prevent tearing of wound.
3. Bruises might be visible, but they should be gone in two to three weeks. If there is pain, swelling or redness, please come to see the doctor immediately.