Abdominoplasty/ Tummy tuck
in Bangkok, Thailand
Abdominoplasty, or tummy tuck, is a procedure that flattens the abdomen by removing extra fat and skin and tightening muscles in your abdominal wall. The procedure benefits to those after childbirth, especially women after numerous pregnancies, and help them get desirable body figure. With incision along bikini line, the surgery is performed under general anesthesia and it takes around 3-4 hours. After the surgery, the patient needs to be admitted three nights to the hospital. The surgery usually leaves a scar along the pubic hair line, possibly from left to right side of the hips, depending on the volume of fat and excess skin.
We offer two types of Abdominoplasty/ Tummy tuck
1. Abdominoplasty/ Tummy tuck with umbilical transposition and repairing the sagging
This procedure is suitable for a person who has a lot of excess fat and skin, or stretch marks from childbirth. This procedure must be performed under general anesthesia
Picture 1. Shows the procedure of Abdominoplasty /tummy tuck with umbilical transposition and repairing the sagging abdominal muscles
1. The surgeon will examine the sagging of the muscles for surgical planning, as show in figure 1.
2. The surgeon marks the incision on the bikini line then opens the wound through the layer of the skin to the muscle, as shown in figure 2.
3. Fibrosis between the layer of the skin and the muscle are released from the pubic to the sub-mammary area. Then surgeon will then see the sagging muscles clearly.
4. The surgeon then repairs the sagging abdominal muscles from sub-mammary to the pubic tightening the abdominal muscles, as shown in figure 4.
5. The layer of the skin and fat is pulled down, with the excess, from the former umbilical to the pubic removed. The surgeon then sutures the fat layer with the dissolvable stitches, creates and retouches the new umbilical carefully to prevent the scar, as shown in figure 5.
6. The surgeon cuts and sutures the excess skin on the pubic area.
The operation time is around 3-4 hours
2. Mini Abdominal Lipectomy
This procedure is suitable for a person who has moderate excess fat but with stretch marks. This procedure aims to correct the stretch marks and can be performed under local anesthesia or general anesthesia. The patient can perform by day surgery.
Picture 2. Shows Surgical Procedures of Mini Abdominoplasty.
1. The surgeon will check the sagging of the muscles for surgical planning, as shown in figure 1.
2. The surgeon opens the wound on the pubic, releases the fibrosis between the layer of the skin and the muscle from the pubic to the below umbilical area.
3. The layer of the skin and fat is then pulled down. The surgeon then cuts and sutures the excess
skin on the pubic area.
Preparing for Abdominoplasty / Tummy tuck
- Consult with the surgeon to your goals, lab test, and medical evaluation
- Get a lab test or a medical evaluation
- Take certain medications or adjust your current medication
- Stop smoking before and after surgery 2 weeks
- Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements as they can increase bleeding
Procedure for Abdominoplasty/ Tummy tuck
- Step for Anesthesia, we offer general anesthesia.
- The surgeon marks the area for incision at the bikini line and then open the incision, if the patients required the Tummy tuck with reposition umbilical and repair the sagging muscle, the patient has to open the tissue above the abdominal muscle pass through the lower breast (submammary area), and then fix the muscle to tighten at the midline of the abdomen. Pull down the skin, cut the excess. If patients required mini tummy tuck, the surgeon will open the incision and cut the excess skin.
- Close the incision by suture
- During the first 2-3 days after the surgery, the patient must start wearing the full-length compression garment every day to tighten the muscle and reduce the swelling. After one month, the patient can continue to wear it at night to support the muscle.
- The stitches will be removed six days after the surgery.
- The patient can start exercise about two months after the surgery.
- The swelling will reduce and the wound will be healed three to four months after the surgery.
Forewarning for post-operative care
- Refrain from showering until two to three days after the surgery. Dress the wound according to the doctor’s recommendation.
- Wear the compression garment all the time during the first month. After one month, the patient should continue wearing to support the muscle and prevent tearing of wound.
- Bruises might be visible, but they should be gone in two to three weeks. If there is pain, swelling or redness, please come to see the doctor immediately.
Risk and Complication for Tummy tuck
- Fluid accumulation (seroma)
- Poor wound healing
- Skin loss
- Skin discoloration and/or prolonged swelling
- Anesthesia risks
- Recurrent looseness of skin
- Fat necrosis
- Deep vein thrombosis, cardiac and pulmonary complications
- Persistent pain
Recovery for Tummy tuck
The recovery of Abdominoplasty / Tummy tuck varies depending on the surgical technique performed. Your drains will be left in for a few days after the surgery. You need to take an antibiotic and an anticoagulant while your drains are in place. You need to wear an abdominal binder for about six weeks. It will help you to avoid fluid buildup and helps to support your abdomen. Mini Abdominoplasty / Mini tummy tuck is usually use shorter period time of the recovery. You need to avoid strenuous activity for at least six weeks, can return to work after surgery 2-6 weeks