Nose Implant / Augmentation Rhinoplasty
in Bangkok, Thailand
Nose Implant or Augmentation Rhinoplasty is a popular cosmetic surgery. The nose is an important feature of an attractive face, which consists of a well-proportioned forehead, nose, and chin. A nose that suits the owner's face presents an elegant image and helps boost confidence and self-esteem.
An Asian tends to have a wide, flat nose with a large and disproportionate nostril size. This procedure does not suit a small and narrow face. Therefore, augmentation rhinoplasty and alarplasty may be considered to help lift the ridge of the nose and make it more attractive. Nowadays, there are safe methods of augmentation rhinoplasty that are widely accepted in the field of surgery using a silicone implant, which is permanent and will not disintegrate over time. It can also be completely removed without causing any injury. The skilled and professional surgeons can adjust the nose shape to suit with the face shape, personality, gender and age of an individual
I. Nose Implant / Augmentation Rhinoplasty:
Figure 1. Nose Implant / Augmentation Rhinoplasty
The material used in Nose Implant:
- Soft silicone
- e-PTFE sheet
- Body tissue such as bone cartilage
- PMMA Customized Implant
A good candidate for Nose Implant
You will be the right candidate if you have
- A flat nose or sadden nose
- Physically healthy
- Realistic expectation.
- To know the risk and complication of Nose Implant well.
Preparation for Nose Implant
Before augmentation rhinoplasty or nose implant can schedule, you must meet with the surgeon to discuss important factors including:
- Medical history
- Physical examination and lab test.
- Avoid medications containing aspirin or ibuprofen for two weeks before and after surgery, as these medications may increase bleeding. Take only medications approved or prescribed by your surgeon. Also, avoid herbal remedies and over-the-counter supplements.
- Stop smoking, as smoking slows down the healing process after surgery and may make increase the risk of infection.
Nose Implant Procedure
- Local anesthesia or sedation may use, subject to your surgeon's recommendation
- The incision is made according to different techniques, which may be either open or close procedure. The close technique can hide the scar. In the open technique, the incision is made across the columella. Then,
- the implant will put on the dorsal bone, its shape adjusted to balance with the original nose and the overall face.
- The incision is closed.
The duration of the surgery is about 45 minutes to one hour under local anesthesia or sedation.
Post-operative care for Nose Implant
- Stitches inside the nose is an absorbable suture, which will dissolve on their own. Stitches outside have to remove after 5-7 days after surgery.
- Keep your head elevated above your chest when in bed to reduce bleeding and swelling. The surgeon will tape a splint to your nose for protection and support for about one week
- Avoid strenuous activities such as aerobics and jogging.
- Take baths instead of showers while you have bandages on your nose.
- Do not blow your nose.
- Avoid extreme facial expressions, such as smiling or laughing.
- Brush your teeth gently to limit movement of your upper lip.
- Don't rest eyeglasses or sunglasses on your nose for at least four weeks after the surgery, to prevent pressure on your nose
- Swelling or bruising of your eyelids can occur for two to three weeks after surgery.
- Limiting your dietary sodium will help the swelling go away faster.
- Do not put anything such as ice or cold packs on your nose after surgery
- Follow all post-operative instructions and attend all post-operative appointments.
Risk and complication for Nose Implant
- Swelling, bruising, pain
- Healing problem
- Extrusion of the implant
- Unsatisfactory result
- Allergic reaction from the implant
Plan to take a week off from work. You will feel progressively better each day during the first week. One week after surgery, patients usually feel like themselves again. People are usually back to performing normal activities after a week.