in Bangkok, Thailand
Breast reduction surgery (reduction mammoplasty) is a surgical procedure to reduce the size of the breast, including excess skin, fat, and breast glands. People with oversized breasts usually have discomfort symptoms such as neck and shoulder pain, chronic rash under the breasts, difficulty fitting with clothing and bras, and poor self-image confidence. Breast reduction surgery will improve the physical and body image.
Kamol Cosmetic Hospital offer 2 techniques for breast reduction as follows;
1. Breast reduction by Keyhole-scar
The incision is around areolar and vertical down from the areolar to the breast crease. This technique is suitable for breast size is not too large. This advantage is a less scar than inverted T scar.
Picture 1. Breast reduction by Keyhole-scar
2. Breast Reduction Inverted T-scar
For patients with significantly large breasts, the surgeon will make an incision in the skin that takes the form of an inverted T-scar (Picture 2), remove the excess fat, and adjust the shape. The size is reduced to the patient's preference. This technique is available for very size, but he scar is more visible than Keyhole – scar.
Picture 2. Breast Reduction Inverted T-scar
The procedure takes approximately three to five hours, depending on the size of the breast. Patients and surgeons have to conclude what desired results would be before the process.
A good candidate for breast reduction surgery
- You feel your breasts are too large
- You have realistic expectations
- Physical healthy
- Don't smoke before and after two weeks.
- You feel neck, shoulder, and back pain caused by the weight of your breasts.
- You have shoulder indentations from bra straps.
Preparation for breast reduction surgery
- Consult with the surgeon to your goals, lab test, and medical evaluation
- Stop smoking at least two weeks before and after surgery
- Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements that may increase bleeding
Procedures for breast reduction
The technique used to reduce the size of your breasts will be determined by individual conditions, the amount of mass breast reduction. The steps of the reduction procedures are as follows;
- Step of general anesthesia
- The incision for breast reduction is an inverted T scar.
- Removing breast mass and excess skin, and then reshape the breast make balance.
- Closing the incisions
The post-operative care for a breast reduction
The post-operative is similar to a breast lift, to minimize any post-operative discomfort after surgery can be done as follows;
- You should wear a compression bra for extra support and positioning to prevent fluid accumulation, control swelling.
- Sleeping with torso slightly elevated to control bruising and swelling
- The dressing will be applied to the incisions until stitches off seven days after surgery.
- Keep clean and dry the incision every day.
- Take medicine for pain relief.
- Take stitches off seven days after surgery.
- You will need a follow-up for every appointment.
- Avoid strenuous activities for at least two weeks.
Risk and complication for breast reduction
Any operation might be complications include
- Keloid from the incision scar
- Poor healing
- Infection, if you notice warmth and redness in your breast due to fever, you might have an infection, contact the surgeon as soon as possible
- Decreased or lost sensation
- Capsular contracture might need the second surgery
- Risk from anesthesia
Recovery for Breast reduction surgery
The recovery is similar to a breast lift, with minimal discomfort. However, The length of the breast reduction by inverted T- scar may take 4-5 days. The discomfort symptoms include pain, stiffness, swelling, and bruising. It may take several weeks or months to settle the final result, such as numbness tingling around the incision. During the breast lift recovery, patients should avoid moderate to strenuous exercise and heavy lifting at least six weeks.